Friday, February 03, 2006

Someone else's dream

Hey hey, I'm being unoriginal again. Nic's blog asked the question: What would be your ideal career? Since I have several and didn't want to write a novel in her comments section, I decided to write the answer in my own blog.

Option no 1: Rock Star

This is the most unlikely of the bunch, so I've put it first. To get this to work, I'd have to gain stage presence, a killer bod, and a band.

Option no 2: Film Director

Still not likely, but less so than option no 1. To get to this option however, I would have to first start off in Option no 3 or 4.

Option no 3: Sound Designer / Composer for film

This is where I wouldn't mind ending up. You know all those cool "vvvjjeew, vvjeeeeew" noises that lightsabers made in Star Wars? A sound designer came up with those by waving a microphone above an exposed CRT. A guy named Walter Murch is perhaps the Godfather of sound designers - considering he did the sound on the Godfather, and also for Apocalypse Now. He's received several oscars.

Option no 4: Film Scriptwriter

Charlie Kaufman is an example of what I'd like to be. Of course, not the neurotic weird kind of Charlie Kaufman, but the genius scriptwriter, yes.

Option no 5: Composer

Yes, I would lower myself to writing pop songs for better looking people to sing. I get the royalties anyway, and while they're languishing about the effect of aging on plastic surgery, I'll be happily living off their image.

Option no 6: Teacher

I would like to teach one day, it just seems to be something that comes relatively naturally to me, and I enjoy it. I would like to one day guide a large orchestra to victory in some competition or something. Or just give a big band a head start into the world.

Option no 7: Traveller

This isn't really a job per se, more of like what I will be spending my time doing when I'm retired. I want to see so much of the world... but that deserves its own entry in this blog. More... later perhaps.

Option no 8: Circus Performer

Not really.

Option no 9: IT Professional

My least favourite option. I've spent enough time in front of computers in the last couple of years to be sick of them already. I'll do it if I have to (it's big money if you know where to look) but I'd rather be travelling or making music.

Option no 10: Pastor

This I guess is more of a dream... in that I still feel that I have a lot within myself and how I live my life to work out before I consider it. I think this is a distinct possibility due to my Public Speaking abilities, but this is a position which requires more than qualifications. I believe that it requires a certain degree of commitment to moral purity, and a track record that shows that you're continuing to work towards knowing and imitating Jesus Christ every day. I'm currently unsure as to whether if, under close examination, my track record would be able to be passable - I know His grace covers all things, but I'd rather wait until I'd attained victory over some rather large sin in my life to do something large like Pastor a church.



Well I guess that's about it, I've listed all that my mind can think of, from the dreams to the mundane to the absurd. So now it's your turn - go to Nic's blog or put it in these comments as to what your dream career would be. Comments in my blog can also be on the topics suggested by my careers, like the pastor option.

-Fin-

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well guess which one I'm going to comment on... (I'll try not to be offended that my choice was the last on your list!)

You wrote:

"I know His grace covers all things, but I'd rather wait until I'd attained victory over some rather large sin in my life to do something large like Pastor a church."

Jesus & the ACOM subject writer (Keith Farmer) which I was reading from in my study book yesterday wrote:

"When Jesus said, 'If I don't wash your feet, you have no further part with me', I think he was saying, 'If you can't accept my ministry and grace towards you, you won't be able to offer ministry and grace to others'. We need to learn to accept the ministry of God's grace before we'll be able to express the ministry of God's grace, and that means actually letting ourselves off the hoook because we know God has forgiven us."

I say:

I hear what you're saying, but can you hear what they're saying? Not that desiring to leave behind sin is a bad thing, just that it's not YOU that will ever gain victory over it, but Jesus who already has, and your part is to surrender it to Him.

Whether or not you're called to be a pastor, that's a call for God to make. But there will never be a time in your life or my life when either of us arrives at a point where we are 'ready' to be a pastor because we've overcome things in our own strength. We're only 'ready' if we hand it over to God and commit to living in unity with His process of transformation in our life (and we'll repeatedly fail in that too!).


There's my longest blog reply ever :-)

2/03/2006 3:37 PM  
Blogger Noof said...

I agree with you, Matt :-) *On both your subject matter and the fact that it was your longest comment ever*

I came to comment on the first option - rock star. You said you'd need a killer body to be a rock star - yeah, that's absolutely true, cos I mean, look at Bono, he's so hot right now. NOT! :-)

Ten dream jobs, hey.... I wonder what God has in store for you!

2/03/2006 10:31 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

I want to be a pastor too, but an undercover one - disguised as a school teacher. Where else are you going to see your congregation 5 days a week?

But yeah, seriously, that's what I believe I've been called to do, and I've left all I've known to pursue that vision. I don't know wher I'm gonna end up, but right now I know I'm exactly where I'm meant to be, and that is the most precious feeling - to be where you are meant to be.

As for being a rock star - I guess I pursued it a bit through highschool but now it's not about the music anymore - It's about God. I was playing in church one Sunday (when I was in grade 7) and we had a guest speaker that Sunday, and before he started his sermon he called me up the front and had a word for me from the Lord saying that I had many talents - one's I don't even know are there - and that God's going to use my talents "in music, but it's more than music, God's going to use my words to impact peoples lives' to quote what he said (I've got in on a tape) - He also said that he believed God was going to take me beyond these shores.

I don't know what the future holds for me - but I believe big things are in store - and I believe even more that for those who know Jesus that they have an absolutely awesome future in store - you just can't go wrong when He's on your side.

So yeah, go for it - whatever it is that you think God is calling you to. A pastor at the church I've been going to once said something that's stuck with me - he said 'It's better to have tried and failed then to have failed to try'.

I hope this has helped ;)

2/04/2006 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I could do whatever I wanted and money was no object (I know that's not exactly what you're talking about here, but hey, a girl can dream can't she?), I would love to own a media empire. My media empire would be different though. First of all I'd set up a decent Chrsitian radio station in Sydney (cos their current one appeals to everyone over the age of 85), then I'd start a magazine full of NORMAL looking people with normal problems and there would be advertisements for things such as books and cds and stuff like that, not all beauty products and diet ideas.

Then I'd run a tv station and it would air dated classics like "T - Bag and the Pearls of Wisdom" (and the other 5 T Bag series), SuperTed, Raggie Dolls and of course plenty of Captain Planet (there would be other tv shos too, but I'm not naming them all). and because money is no object, there would be no advertising.

So that's my idea. But it will never happen. But it's a nice thought.

2/04/2006 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you call yourself supertiph 'cause of your liking for SuperTed?

2/04/2006 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure you can be a rock star without a killer bod, there's any number of guys out there without them, in fact, I'd contend that the best musicians don't. Where's John Lennon's rock hard abs and pecs? Thom Yorke's one of the most physically repugnant guys out there, yet one of the world's biggest rock stars. If you wanted to be a wanky pop star, then sure, a killer bod is a must (unless you're Joey Fatone :P) but to be a real musician, thats just talent and right place, right time. Unless you want to be a christian music, in which case simply find what the secular scene was doing 12 years ago and replicate at will;)

2/05/2006 6:47 PM  
Blogger Noof said...

Aaron, quit bagging CCM. At least I can actually listen to a song with something decent to say every once in awhile. :-p

2/09/2006 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter