Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Millimetre? We'll use that in like, a morning

Today... sooooo much rain. It still hasn't stopped. Literally hasn't stopped raining heavily all day. In Brisbane, it pours this hard for maybe five minutes, then drizzles for another hour and stops.

Went shopping in Cairns Central, met up with a friend of mine named Mel for lunch (I owed her a sushi lunch) and talked about stuff in general. She's getting married later on this year, and she plus her soon-to-be-hubby just bought a house :D

Went to see Ice Age 2 in the afternoon, so basically spent the whole day inside Central, enjoying all its shopping-mall goodness. Ice Age 2 wasn't as bad as I was expecting, making me laugh out loud at some points. Just don't go expecting much and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Heh, I'm realising that this isn't really a deep, philosophical post, but I'll continue anyway.

Went to HMV, used a gift voucher I got from my credit card points :) Got some Anime, and also a CD by Massive Attack called Collected. I've decided that their style of music is where I'd like to head... this is of course a tentative statement by me which can be retracted at anytime. On this CD is their immortal song, teardrop. You know, the one with the filmclip of the baby in the womb :S.

I just realised that I didn't tell you about Monday. On Monday, we went with some old friends, Alicia and Travis Clark to Port Douglas to have breakfast with the birds. For those of you unfamiliar with this tourist attraction, it's a service the Rainforest Habitat puts on - you have a beautiful buffet breakfast in the middle of an aviary, and all the birds, including ducks, lorikeets, parrots etc all come and hassle you for your food. It's brilliant, and then you get to walk around the park afterwards, feeding kangaroos, seeing koalas etc for awhile.

Hope everyone's going well, wherever in the world you mad folks are.

-Fin-

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, back residing around central again eh? Glad to see you're truly making the most of your little northern sojourn:P Say hi to the mallrats for me...still there no doubt.

4/19/2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger bumunu said...

just cos your mallrat self has moved on aaron, don't insult the ones who have stayed behind :D

4/20/2006 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not? Its easy...fun too:) And I was no mallrat thank you very much, I was only ever there for employment's sake really, with the occasional sociable reasoning.

4/20/2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger SuperTiph said...

Since you mentioned rain, Luke, maybe you or one of your faithful bog readers/commenters can help me out with something. I don't understand this "rain gauge" nonsense. How is sticking a plastic container with marks on it ever going to be a useful tool in meansuring how much rain has fallen overall? You see, this "rain gauge" will measure how much rain has fallen in the rain gauge. It does not tell you how much rain has fallen all over.

For instance, I can put a rain gauge under a drain outlet and tell everyone we got 4 and a half metres of rain. Or I can put the rain gauge inside and tell everyone that my rain gauge indicates there was no rain fall, despite the fact it has been bucketing. Or I could put it in a slightly more practical place, like the edge of the garden shed or something, and tell everyon we got 7 millimetres. But the edge of my shed got 7 millimetres. What about the other side of the shed, did it get 7 millimetres?

Does anyone else have an opinion on rain gauges? Please clog up Luke's blog with your thoughts.

4/22/2006 12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If one side of your shed got 7mm, you can be pretty sure the other side also got 7mm (unless you'd also left the sprinkler running on one side of the shed).

The rain gauge only really measures the rain fall in that area - so what your rain gauge tells you might not be the case on the other side of town.

However it gives a fairly good estimate if a storm travels across town without significantly increasing/decreasing in speed or intensity, as it would dump the same amount of rain while it was over the other side of town as it would dump on you once it gets to you.

Clear as rain.

4/22/2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger bumunu said...

I was just curious as to who really needs to know the specific amount of rain..I mean, "it rained a lot" is generally sufficient for me, or "it was a light rain". I don't need to know specifically - is there any real profession that relies upon this knowledge?

4/22/2006 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weather forecasters :-)

And those building infrastructure, e.g. where to put a dam, designing drainage based on required capacity, deciding irrigation requirements, etc...

But as for you & me, whether or not I need an umbrella is usually enough info, right?

4/22/2006 3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Matt, I had no idea you were such an expert in the field of rainfall measurement:P I'll be sure to call the next time I need some weather related discourse:)

4/22/2006 9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I'll be sure to tell you the most accurate information I can determine which will in no way result in inconvenience or harm coming your way Aaron :-)

Because I care...

4/23/2006 2:36 AM  
Blogger bumunu said...

Yeah, but a weather FOREcaster knowing how much rain has FALLEN is kind of like locking the the barn after the horse has been stolen, isn't it?

And I agree with Aaron. Woah matt.

4/23/2006 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But forecasting is often based on following known and familiar patterns, so knowing what has already happened weather-wise is the key to forecasting weather.

(Read that sentence again, more slowly this time, it makes sense if you look long enough...)

And I know very little about weather & rainfall & stuff, just felt like writing something I guess!

4/23/2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger bumunu said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/24/2006 12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BUBBLES!!!

4/26/2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Noof said...

www.bom.gov.au

This is how to know when to get out your umbrella, cyclone protection etc

kaezzppy

5/20/2006 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter