Thursday, September 22, 2005

Motivationary

Go and rent the film called 'The Corporation', now. See it now.

Now, what did that statement evoke in you? Did you immediately think, 'Oo, quirky start,' followed by 'I might go see the film he's talking about'?

Will you follow through? Will you hire the video?

Man I must be sounding like a weird jerk atm... I guess I am a bit.

After I watched the Corp., I felt motivated to do something. I predicted I would, so I was prepared for it, but I really would like to analyse what makes us not do anything, not react to problems that aren't immediately in our frame of reference, not try and make the world a better place.

I'd love to make a documentary about apathy, especially in Australia. I mean, apart from sport, what do we have in our culture? We used have a culture of mateship, but with current social norms of us striving to be disconnected, independant human beans, that seems to be dissolving into the larger "Community" of capitalism.

Any ideas?

4 Comments:

Blogger Noof said...

"You will laugh at me like I'm not happy with anything, anytime, anywhere
But the half of me's all about apathy, and the other half......just doesn't care" -relient k-

analysing apathy - good idea. I wonder what makes us so apathetic.

I gave a gospel to one of my friends. he read some of it. He was cool with it. That was it.

Kind of frustrated me - "will you please do something about it?!" i yelled silently. "Scream at me, tell me you hate it, tell me about the parts you just can't stand! Anything! Don't just stand there like it's about as exciting as buying milk!"

Oh well. At least he read some of it.

9/22/2005 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, seems like the reaction you've given is exactly the one the film makers would want to elicit from your watching of their production. As far as apathy goes, its rather simple, big problems generally require big actions, most of which we aren't capable of on our own steed. A larger movement is necessary and is required to be instituted, however an effective movement is extremely hard to initiate and in the long term, these things tend to fade away. I'm not sure what you were saying you wanted to move against....the capitalist system? human attitudes as a whole? All i'm saying, don't buy into whatever a films telling you, regardless of its production values, as from what i've heard, "the corporation" ranks around michael moore and sean hannity in terms of objectivity.

9/23/2005 11:27 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

Lol yeah, nah I won't be doing anything about what the corporation wanted me to, I just predicted how I'd feel afterwards. Mostly I'd just like to look at the nature of apathy really... not in relation to any one problem, just in general...

9/23/2005 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather obvious, but I couldn't just leave it sitting out there in cyberspace, looking all quirky in its unresolved-ness...

You say:
"I'd love to make a documentary about apathy"

But you just couldn't be bothered doing it, right?

9/23/2005 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter