Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Let's run some ideas past you...

Okay. 8:28 am on wednesday, I've finished all my homework for the day. Now I have until 6pm to keep myself busy.

I think I'll apply for a $10 000 grant.

Actually, I'm serious.

Let me run the idea past ya - I think its a need which needs filling.

There's a big gap at the moment between the general level of computer literacy (i.e. none) and the level of computer literacy that the University expects.

It's strange that the Uni will run maths bridging courses, but not have anything in the way of technology bridging. There's an especially large gap for mature age students, who haven't grown up with technology.

I want to run a one day per week for five weeks program which will ground people in things like excel, powerpoint, word, internet surfing, etc. What I was wondering, what else do you think would need to be covered - maybe scanning etc? Also, would the five week thing work, or should it be an intensive one or two day course?

-Fin-

4 Comments:

Blogger Noof said...

Hi dude,

My mum reads your blog. She said your idea was brilliant, speaking from the perspective of a mature-age student who hasn't grown up with technology, and if you have the time, she thinks you should apply for the grant. (She didn't comment cos she didn't know how - case in point ;-) That and she didn't want to seem nosey, so she suggested I comment. So I did.

Scanning's probably a good idea. Maybe even general printing principles - i.e. how to find where to load the paper, double sided printing, printing on different size pages, cartridge changes?? (these are things I don't know!) :-)

Sometimes I think I underestimate your crazy ideas ;-)

9/21/2005 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just never know who's out there reading Lukey... And you never know if one day I'll print something you wrote and distribute it to a few hundred people... :-D

9/21/2005 9:19 PM  
Blogger Gloz said...

i like matt's idea up there...lol

9/22/2005 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a definate need for that sort of thing! Perhaps some basic web page creation in dreamweaver or something may be helpful as well. I guess the trick will be covering the right concepts in each of the programs. KISS is the best principle. I hope you get the grant! Let me know if you need any help.

9/22/2005 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter