Saturday, September 17, 2005

Personal Blatherings

Captains Log, Stardate, 17092005.

I'm starting to realise that after I've spent long periods away from the Word, I tend to start to get... I dunno, this'll sound weird, but cravings. Like the feeling that something is missing from my life.

I confess, for the last week or so, I've been mega-slack in quiet times. Although I've had great times of prayer, I'm finding myself missing the 'meat' of the Bible.

Thus I get to the point of wanting something, so I resolve to do it... tomorrow. Then tomorrow comes and I don't do a quiet time and then I feel guilty and then I resolve to do it... tomorrow. This continues for a week. Then I go through a "Bible binge" whereby I read about 8 chapters in one book and 10 in the other. And then my week gets busy again, and the cycle repeats.

I guess its just a question of laziness and lack of discipline, like I'll really really want to do something at one point, but when push comes to shove i.e. my will to read the bible comes up against my will to go back to sleep, I tend to be weak minded.

Self-discipline is what I've been praying for most recently, like, self-control etc. Fear of going through with something, like hesitating before a bungee jump, isn't something that I really suffer from. It's the getting out there and actually doing stuff I struggle with... especially when there's something that takes less effort to do lying around... like dvd's :) Anyway, I'm gonna work on things, so feel free to come up to me and ask how my discipline is going.

Hmm, that's about all - ttfn.

-Fin-

1 Comments:

Blogger Noof said...

yeah, self discipline.....aargh.

I read a nice quote! and it might be helpful! It's from a book where this guy was having a conversation with Jesus about his quiet times.

He (Jesus) said, "The trouble is that you have been thinking of the quiet time, of Bible study and prayer, as a means for your own spiritual growth. This is true, but you have forgotten that this time means something to me also. Remember, I love you. At a great cost I have redeemed you. I value your fellowship. Just to have you look up into my face warms my heart. Don't neglect this hour if only for my sake. Whether or not you want to be with me, remember I want to be with you. I really love you!"

I think that says it all, really.

9/17/2005 10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter