Wednesday, August 23, 2006

No Sleep = Work Gets Done

I ran into some of you today, and some of you last nite, but for me it's been the same day. I didn't end up sleeping last night after Nightlife, as I had a presentation due the next day and everything I had ready to go didn't seem good enough. So I put one of my ideas into the computer, recording various sounds from my keyboard and had it to a point where I was like, this is okay, but then I realised that it just wasn't right. I wanted it to be better.

So I got on my bicycle at 1am in the morning and rode to QUT. Therein I went to the studio where a security guard was nice enough to let me in even without a booking, and I had 5 hours to record real piano, drums and timpani (tympani?) for my piece.

I didnt' get time to do vocals, but vocals never sound great after you've been awake for more than a day.

Without further ado, I present the half finished, half as long as I'd like to be version of 'To Earthward'. The drums are semi-okay, I think I need to go back and mic the snare closer and get rid of some of the room mic, and the structure of the piece lends itself to a much longer piece. The lyrics haven't been recorded yet, but when the song's done I'll be in touch with you guys.

Luke's Purevolume Site

P.S. for those who were wondering, the time signature's a rolling 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, 6/8 pattern. If you add those numbers up it's pretty simple, with each verse being the equivalent of four bars of 6/8.

-Fin-

12 Comments:

Blogger Matt M said...

I like it. Not sure if the funky time sig action added or detracted from my experience but each to his own!

One day I want to make DVDs of stuff and get you to soundtrack 'em.

8/23/2006 7:52 PM  
Blogger Matt M said...

P.S. You've regained credibility since the "Hello Computer" incident...

;-)

8/23/2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

lol

so what "stuff" is on the dvd's? I'm gonna be teaching my dad all about photoshop and stuff in november, is it to do with church?

8/24/2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

oh and the funky time signature makes more sense when the vocals will go in, but that may take awhile as I don't have studio time until the 9th - the other day was really lucky cos the security guards aren't supposed to let people in unless they have a booking for the studio :S

8/24/2006 3:58 PM  
Blogger SuperTiph said...

'Timpani' is correct

Level 3

8/24/2006 6:12 PM  
Blogger Noof said...

Liked it. I verify Supertiph's comment - 'timpani' is correct. Sorry Matt, but I liked the 'Hello Computer' solo. :-) Hehe.
Looking forward to lyrics.

8/24/2006 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, stop bagging 'hello computer'...it rocked! :P (in a bizarre, quirky kind of way...)

-jess-

wv: defwcobs

8/24/2006 8:29 PM  
Blogger Matt M said...

"Hello Computer" must appeal to the female mind somehow...

Anyways, back to you Luke. Not sure what the DVDs will be yet. NOOMA style perhaps? Or local photography discs/looping video. Who knows. I just like making DVDs.

Re: your dad, it's quite possibly church-related. They have a copy of Photoshop Elements 4 & Premiere Elements 2. But I don't know specifically what he would be using it for, you'd have to ask him.

8/25/2006 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again from your favourite flesh-and-blood brother (seeing as I AM your only one), greetings!

Anyway, it was good! I liked it. Very minimalistic. Can't wait for the vocals...

(By the way, first time I listened to the Hello Computer song as well... interesting! You managed to sneak a Mario quote in there too... ;-). )

sxvws. I believe that says it all.

8/26/2006 6:11 PM  
Blogger Matt M said...

Ben!!

8/27/2006 10:26 PM  
Blogger Matt M said...

Hey Luke, I now have a blog at www.BigGodLittleMe.blogspot.com if you wanna check it out!

8/28/2006 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Bassline Junkie said...

Woah!!!... 8 yrs on and I stumble across this blog by chance. Interesting/inspirational/quirky and hilarious. kept me occupied for ages. Go Luke!

2/22/2014 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter