Thursday, November 03, 2005

Well that was unexpected

Hi all out there. My jaw is, at the moment, unrecoverably hanging open at the unexpected outcome of an earlier adventure.

Here was the post of my crazy idea:

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Let's run some ideas past you...

Okay. 8:28 am on wednesday, I've finished all my homework for the day. Now I have until 6pm to keep myself busy.

I think I'll apply for a $10 000 grant.

Actually, I'm serious.

Let me run the idea past ya - I think its a need which needs filling.

There's a big gap at the moment between the general level of computer literacy (i.e. none) and the level of computer literacy that the University expects.

It's strange that the Uni will run maths bridging courses, but not have anything in the way of technology bridging. There's an especially large gap for mature age students, who haven't grown up with technology.

I want to run a one day per week for five weeks program which will ground people in things like excel, powerpoint, word, internet surfing, etc. What I was wondering, what else do you think would need to be covered - maybe scanning etc? Also, would the five week thing work, or should it be an intensive one or two day course?

-Fin-
And just today I got the reply.

Dear Luke,

Thank you for your application for a 2005 Equity Initiative Grant.

I am writing to advise that the Equity Initiative Grants Panel has approved your application for $6000 subject to the following conditions:

- Project is designed collaboratively between Computing Services and Information Literacy
staff in the Library

- Revisit delivery model (Consider ½ hour skills assessment prior to training)

- Revisit duration and timing to reduce time required by students

This is a conditional approval. Please contact the Equity Coordinator, Mary Kelly (ma.kelly@qut.edu.au, extn 2115) to discuss your application further. After which, you will you will need to submit the additional information before the funds can be transferred.

Once final approval is received you will need to forward the following to enable the transfer of funds to your nominated project: the full account code (including Cost centre code (6 digits), Project code (4 digits) and Activity code (2 digits) to Gayle Hughes (g.hughes@qut.edu.au, extn 2802).

When the time comes to report on your project, we will prompt you.

Congratulations on your equity initiative. We look forward to hearing about positive outcomes for students at QUT.

Kate Flynn for
Mary Kelly
Equity Coordinator
Help help help... this is the point that I realise that not only have I bitten off more than I can chew, but what I thought was a lovely piece of green lobster bisk is the tail of a crocodile.

:) But you know me, I'll handle it fine.

[faints]

-Fin-

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting that. That rocks! I am sure you will do great with it.

11/03/2005 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! i'm so excited for you! :-D
if you really feel that you've bitten off more then u can chew then why not get more ppl involved?

11/03/2005 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Luke it turns out my publishing software can be used for commercial projects... unfortunately available time is still at zilch (too much time spent posting on your blog).

11/03/2005 8:20 PM  
Blogger Noof said...

:-)

That's amazing dude.

There's only one thing to do when a lobster turns out to be a croc. Well, actually, this is more of a multiple choice thing.

1) Call Mick Dundee
2) Call Steve Irwin (not recommended)
3) Get a dangerous, mad glint in your eye, and fight that croc until you win.

Good work dude.

11/04/2005 1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a rip off.
you wanted $10,000 and they're only giving you $6,000. how rude.

11/04/2005 8:21 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

On second thoughts, I think I actually only applied for $6000, cos I thought applying for the full $10000 would be greedy and they wouldn't give it to me...

11/07/2005 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter