Friday, March 10, 2006

Good day

G'day.

I'll be back at workin at the Student computing Helpdesk in April, after being at the QUT Information Services call centre out at Carseldine for over two months now. It's been fun and well paid, but I'm gonna be glad to get back to just going to uni after the end of march. This kind of mis-matching between Carseldine and Kelvin Grove is draining me.

Tonight I'm just working a shift, 4-9pm at the helpdesk to help out. It's been hell for the helpdesk - the new printing system, which was implemented on Monday the 27th of February, didn't work until that Friday - the 3rd. Even then, it only worked half the time until about yesterday, the 9th of March. On top of that, we have had to merge three different services into one - the Staff Helpdesk, our phone service and our desk service into one integrated help service area. Yeah, it sucks as much as it sounds.

Plus today, H:/, which is the network drive for Education Students went down - there are about 3 separate assignments, big 'uns, due in today or tomorrow. One student's been yelling at me about it every time she walks past, and she's an international student which means she gets to pay about $8000 for this semester. Anyway. She just went past then and asked me to call her when it comes back up, she gave me a number etc. [sigh]

The main point I'm trying to make is that QUT has majorly stuffed up this year. Yes Aaron, I'm sure UQ would have done it at least 10 times better [rolls eyes]. However the things that have stuffed up are all behind the scenes - mistakes made by managers who are on 6 month contracts who don't care about QUT or the students at all. And we, the helpdesk workers on the front line, get the flack for it.

So yeah, that's my whinge for the century, hope it wasn't too draining. I'll get onto more uplifting topics now :)

Music rocks. We had a class today where we got to perform a percussion piece we had 20 mins to come up with, which was cool. Anyway, it went off, so that was great. However the amount of time I have to put into music is alot more than I was expecting... Business really is just a 'go to uni, get your degree, get out' kinda degree. This is a 'you're a full time student, and we'll give you contact hours to suit', which is great. I'm just gonna have to re-evaluate other commitments, and just keep in mind that I'm at uni to be in my course. I think that'll be the best way to shine God, as I'll be making much better friends with people in my course than I would ever get to in Business or IT.

-Fin-

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're damn right we would've done it 10 times, nay 100 times better:) Actually I've not too much of an idea how it all runs at UQ as far as behind the scenes tech support goes, however I'm fairly certain that a large portion of the people working there are full time and long term employees. Anyways, we're not perfect, back in first year someone managed to hack into the main console of the UQ library network and put that down for about 18 hrs, which caused chaos to all and sundry.

3/11/2006 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i still say griffith is better then both QUT and UQ put together. at least i'm not at super tafe :-P

3/14/2006 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter