Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Invisible Pink Elephant

Not trying to create any huge posting debate etc here, but I just thought I'd bring to people's attention two sides of the coin that is the IPE. Some people have never heard of it, and it's really interesting to read, especially from my point of view, which is Christian.

I was just reminded of this ages-old debate because whenever I walk to Kelvin Grove campus of QUT, I pass a electricity meter box which has been painted as part of some 'government supporting art' scheme. The box portrays a large, smiling nun standing facing the onlooker, while a large pink elephant flies behind her.

The argument goes that the Judaeo-Christian belief in an Omnipresent, Omniscient and Omnibenevolent God is as absurd as someone believing that there's a large, pink, invisible elephant floating behind their heads at all times.
"But that's absurd!" Christians usually say.
"Damn straight," Replies the unbeliever, "But just try and prove me wrong."

###

The reason I find it interesting is that it's generally only spoken by unbelievers who have guts to actually stand for their complete unbelief in any kind of deity - I respect that, even though I disagree.

Here's a post I found on another forum (Link)There is an invisible pink elephant floating in my room. You can't see, hear, feel, smell, or touch it, but I can. I know he is real because I found this old book the other day that talks about him, and last night I had a dream where he spoke to me!

All hail the magical, invisible pink elephant!

What?? You don’t believe me!? Well, you just try and prove that he doesn't exist!

P.S.: The elephant is finicky and gets very mad at non-believers. He likes to hide their keys, socks and loose change. But you'll never know that it was him who did it until you start believing in him.

P.P.S: Actually, you believe in the elephant already – everybody does. But there’s a wicked little invisible purple unicorn that puts mean thoughts into your head that the magical invisible pink elephant doesn’t exist. If you ever have any doubts about existence of the pink elephant, it’s the invisible purple unicorn that’s putting them into your head.

P.P.P.S. Did I say the pink elephant likes to hide your loose change? Sorry – it’s actually the mean purple unicorn that made me think that – he’s the one responsible for all the bad things I do.

Down with the mean, invisible purple unicorn!
###

Now I have to state that this isn't my view :) But it's an interesting viewpoint. My main argument against it is that we as Christians have bases of fact on which our faith and feelings are built on (Link), as arguments of proof of faith and of changes in feelings are usually lumped into the realms of placebos and group hysteria.

I can't use logic nowadays (Link) in my discussions and it's considered disrespectful and intolerant to consider one belief system better than another. Also, closer to home, friends have told me horror stories of being force-fed the gospel, or having the Bible "sold" to them. These friends are happy to talk about religion with me, but just some of the approaches of other Christians (which I'm not denouncing at all, there's a place and time for all things) haven't worked.

So... not sure if there is any point to all this :) I guess there isn't any way to completely rationalise my faith. I mean, its nothing new though - at Jesus' baptism God Himself came down in the form of a dove, the clouds opened up and the Almighty spoke his approval of His Son. Some people just said that it was lightning. For every display of His might (or what I think is His might ;) ), there will be skeptics. I guess the only thing I can say is that there's been changes in my life which I couldn't have made by myself. If you're not a Christian and would like to find out what helped, just ask me, or read a bit more over at Geoff's page.

Meh, I'm boogered... and I should be doing an assignment.

Alright! No more deep posts for awhile!!! haha that might change however, I tend to change my mind alot.

Don't eat pickles that are past their use-by date.

-Fin-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter