Monday, September 05, 2005

Riverfire

Wow! Pretty lights!

In thinking about Riverfire, there were two main streams of thought:
a) OOoooOO! Preedy colours!!
b) Good grief. Think about the amount this cost! Is this all it takes to satiate a populace - large lights in the sky for a half hour about three times a year? (At this point my thoughts would stray back to point a.)

Point b can be summed up pretty much like a Mastercard ad:
1) Fireworks: $120 000
2) Setup for show, including speakers, roadblocks, radio & tv simulcasts, security, extra public transport and boat patrols: $100 000
3) Jet Burn (inc. 10 000L of Aeronautical grade fuel + insurance hike): $500 000
4) Making Brisbane feel better, dramatic, like they've got something to be proud of while they get drunk: Priceless.

:oP Sorry, I quite like Brisbane, it just sometimes does funny things with its money. I walked home from Riverfire, passing the homeless people underneath the William Jolly bridge and the drunk students wandering around Milton. Made me think a little bit about how we're blowing up more money in 30 minutes than most people can dream of accumulating in a lifetime. Heh, but they were quite pretty ;P

Anyway, that's about my thoughts for the moment, have fun until I post again.

-Fin-

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truer words never spoken...I actually thought $100 000 was quite a conservative estimate for the fireworks themselves. I vaguely recall a quote of around half a million for last year, however it is rather hazy, due to my limited memory capacity, not any sort of chemical intake:)

9/05/2005 8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tourism isn’t a thing we should spend money on then? The fact is that the rate payers of Brisbane paid for the show and over half a million people came to the event and watched it and another three hundred thousand more on TV.

9/05/2005 8:37 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

heh, I agree with ya mate, tourism is pretty important. I guess what was in my mind was like those thoughts you have when you see a $300 000 car blown up in movies - in my mind I go "NO!! I wanted that car! If you didn't want it, you could just give it to me instead of blowing it up!!"

:)

9/07/2005 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter